Here is a method that is helping thousands of Etsy sellers reach a wider market using their blog as a marketing tool.
- Identify a niche that you love and expand on it. So if you love printables and that’s what you sell, expand outward to organization or home decor. Find a large niche, not a tiny one, and tie that back to what you love.
- Think about branding from day one. Match your website address, your Etsy username, and your social media accounts. Make every impression count toward brand recognition. Make them remember you!
- Create lots of really useful content for your niche. Check out this post on choosing blog post titles to help you come-up with content ideas. Get at least ten or twenty blog posts written before you start your blog.
- Use lots of pretty pictures. Never publish a post without a picture. NEVER!
- Use WordPress on your own domain. See our Resources page for more information.
- Create a great looking blog. Design is so important. You want people subscribe, bookmark, or otherwise be sure to come back. Design helps with that. Good design also helps with SEO, advertising sales, and in keeping users on the site longer which means more pageviews. Genesis Themes are great.
- Always be learning – It’s amazing how much there is to know about blogging. If you want to get the most out of it, you’ve got to keep reading and learning. How often to post? How long should your post be? What is SEO? How to sell advertising? There is lots to learn but no big hurry.
- You sell rarely, your blog sells always – It should be relatively rare for you to actively promote your own products. One plug for every ten regular actions is a good rule of thumb. Your blog, however, should never stop selling. Your sidebars and footer should use tools such as the Etsy Mini and links to your money-making pages. You should have a menu option that leads to a sale. Use the blog as a tool, but be a resource.
- Be consistent. Be persistent. – Stay on task and don’t give-up. Blogging is a slow growth kind of thing. Elephant’s have a gestation period of almost two years before giving birth. That’s pretty much the same thing with a blog! You might get a little sick of it one morning, but you must keep going! The result is worth it.
- Have fun! – Look back at the sixth word in item #1. Love. Pick a topic you love because you want to make it fun to blog. Enjoy it and stick with it. You’ll be successful.
If you follow this 10-step formula and don’t stop. Your blog will work wonders beyond your imagination in the future.
Did I miss anything? What is your secret to successful blogging?