Homemade Lip Balm Recipe & Printable Labels {DIY Gift}

Homemade Lip Balm Recipe on EverythingEtsy.com #DIY

Homemade lip balm is a fabulous DIY gift that can be made it minutes!  These little tins of lip balm fit easily in your pocket and will help keep your lips super soft during the cold winter months or days at the beach.

I love the way these turned out.  I always knew making lip balm would be easy, but I didn’t know it was THIS easy.  I don’t think I’ll ever go without homemade lip balm again!

Homemade Lip Balm - DIY Gifts - Everything Etsy

I made two different types of lip balm…Sweet Lemon and Orange Kiss.

Homemade Lip Balm Ingredients - EverythingEtsy

Homemade Lip Balm

Supplies (w/ links to buy on Amazon):

This should make about 8 little tins of lip balm.  If you use the links you’ll see exactly the product I used to make mine.

Homemade Lip Balm - In process - EverythingEtsy

Here’s just how easy it really is…

• Melt your beeswax, almond oil and shea butter together in a glass container in the microwave.  Check it every 30 seconds or so and stir.
  • Add your essential oils and any extra colorant {like lipstick shavings}.
  • Pour it slowly into your tins and let them cool.

Homemade Lip Balm - Waiting to dry - EverythingEtsy

It starts to harden quickly so work fast once you’ve melted your mixture.

Homemade Lip Balm - Dry - EverythingEtsy

This is what it looks like in about 10 minutes.

Homemade Lip Balm - Tinted - EverythingEtsy

For the last batch I shaved a little lipstick into the mixture for color.  It hardly changed it so maybe I should have added more.  It seems like a great way to use the last of a pretty shade of lipstick…just use more than you would think.  It dries so much lighter.

Homemade Lip Balm - drying - EverythingEtsy

You can see a slightly different shade in some of these.  I made all of them in about 30 minutes…three batches!

Homemade Lip Balm - Printables - EverythingEtsy

I’ve included a simple set of  little homemade lip balm printable labels to top of your tins.  There are three designs …Orange Kiss, Sweet Lemon and one you can write on.

They can be printed on a single sticker sheet and cut out by hand or with a circle punch.

Homemade Lip Balm - Finished and ready to give - EverythingEtsy

Download the printable labels here!

Lip Balm Stickers (PDF – for printing on 1.25″ Circle Labels)

Lip Balm Stickers – with circles (PDF – for printing on full sheet labels and cutting out circles)

Have you made lip balm before??  I’d love to hear what kind of essential oils you used!

If you’re looking for a quick DIY gift…this is it!  You can even make little sets of them…wouldn’t that be cute?!

I’m all about handmade gifts!  These are some of my favorites…

Handmade gift rock!

Comments

• says

Hi Jill!

They are perfect, aren’t they?! I love them!
      You can find the exact tins by clicking on the link where the supplies are listed. I ended up using a whole box of tins because it was so fast and easy. I need to order more for myself before the holidays. Have fun with it!

I am beyond excited to try these! I ordered a number of different essential oils such as basil, grapefruit, peppermint, ginger as well as a few others. Can’t wait!

2. JoAnne says

I would like to make some of theses in Vanilla! I checked the Amazon site for the tins and they are all out and not sure if/or when they would be available. I’ll check at a craft store tomorrow!
    Love your posts!

• Shelly says

I have not tried this recipe yet but there are many similar ones online. You can substitute many natural oils for the almond oil. I often use Coconut oil, reducing the beeswax by just a little. You might also try jojoba oil, castor oil or even a nice, pure olive oil. Almond oil is the consistency of olive oil or vegetable oil (don’t use veggie oil though). If you use something semi-solid, like coconut oil, you will need less beeswax to keep the finished product solid when in warmer temps or when the tin is in a pocket.

3. Jennifer says

I am new to all of the homemade things. Can I use orange extract for these? I ask because I already have that on hand. Thanks for the great idea :).

4. Vera De Block says

Hello

I don’t have a microwave, because I don’t use it.
    Is there an alternative way to melt beeswax, almond oil and shea butter together?

I look forward to your help.

Thanks and greetings from Belgium

Vera

5. Cat says

Hi Kim!

I tried your recipe and it’s true, it’s so easy to make!
    But I have some questions: I put 15 drops of grapefruit essential oil and it turned out that it still smell like beeswax… Also, I use food coloring and it did’nt mix with the rest of the ingrédients, it stayed in the bottom of my bol.

Can you help me to figure it out what happen? :) Oh, I changed the almond oil for coconut oil because this was what I had at home. Otherwise, I did’nt change anything to your recipe.

Thanks
    Cat

• says

Hi Cat!

I’m so happy your tried it!

Here’s some tips…

I don’t think you can use food coloring to color your lip balm. I used shaved lipstick to give the lip balm some color.

The lip balm will dry a much lighter color, so go darker pink or red to get the look you want.

I would just add more grapefruit essential oil to get the right smell. Some people only want a hint, so you’ll have to test it to get it the way you like it.

Have fun!!! :)

6. Tracey says

Can u use fragrance oil instead of essential oil? I’m new to making this and not sure what’s the difference.

7. Marie says

I used a mint essential oil and it worked fantastic, I also added half the amount of sweet almond oil so I could add the other half in coconut oil and they smell amazing! This recipe was perfect!

8. Rachelle says

Hi Kim,
    I’m trying to download the pdf files for the lip balm labels (with circles) to make with my young girls group. The file is failing at each download attempt — would you email the file to me?

I’ve got 30 fourth and fifth grade girls really excited to try their hand at making lip balm!

~Rachelle