Using Keyword Research to Improve Etsy Sales

Did you know that Etsy Shops perform extremely well on Google?

The Etsy site as a whole has quite a bit of authority in the eyes of major search engines which can absolutely translate into sales for you! The most important part of the equation is in the wording you add to your Etsy shop.

We’ll show you how to get better at it!

Take a few minutes to do keyword research before writing your product description.

Here’s how you do that:

Go to Google’s Keyword Research Tool (read the rest of the post first so you know what to do when you get there!)

Think of some words that you think describe your product. I just pulled an idea out of the air and searched for “Wooden Toys” Here is the screen:

ScreenHunter 01 Jan. 29 11

On the results page, you’ll see various phrases related to the term. These are combinations of words searched for (you can use quotations to search for exact worded phrases) and you can see how many searches per month Google gets for that term.

ScreenHunter 03 Jan. 29 11

On the left, you can see a green bar… that shows how stiff the competition is for paid Google AdWords campaigns for that keyword group. The more solid the bar, the harder it will be to gain search traffic in that term (but you still should use it if the numbers are huge)

Run down that column looking for a term that has three characteristics:

• It fits your product
  • It has low or medium competition
  • It gets at least 1000 searches per month, preferably more.

Since I don’t sell wooden toys this was more of an exercise for me, but I saw a decent idea! I saw that about 1600 people per month search for “Old Wooden Toys” and the competition wasn’t that high. Vintage (old) stuff sells great on Etsy! Maybe not a bad idea for a shop!

ScreenHunter 02 Jan. 29 11

Once you find some good terms, include those in your item description. This will help your Etsy shop perform better in search results for your items! You can also keep a list of these terms so that you can use them in an AdWords campaign should you decide to advertise that way. Which we’ll be talking about soon.

I’ve really simplified this. If you want to get ultra-serious, there is a whole lot of information online about keyword research. It’s probably worth some time to learn even more. But this will get you started! Good luck!

(note fyi: this and most of the business how-to posts on Everything Etsy are written by someone far less pretty than the girl in the sidebar. I’m her lucky husband, Tim, aka RemodelingGuy. )

Comments

Hey Tim, thanks for the tips, great info. By the way I found you on google search. I have tried using the search words you mention and still find that when I search for sea glass jewelry in google that my shop just doesn’t show up and yet many others do. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong. Thanks, newsprout

WOW, that’s all I can say…so happy to have found this site. My etsy store is under a major reconstruction and I’m so grateful to have found Everything Etsy…haven’t found a post yet that I can’t use something out of it. Thank You very much……..

This is a great tip. I have been wondering how everyone “just knows” what terms to use. Thanks for posting this! I will be book marking this for later.

4. Holly says

Just a quick ?- Do you paste these words in the description of your item, or just use them as your tags?? That’s the only thing I wanted to make sure I am getting right?? Thanks!

Hi Holly – Once you find keywords that are fitting for your items, you want to use those words in a natural manner in your item description. You can also use them in the tags, and you can use any that are fitting, but couldn’t be naturally worked into your wording, in the tags. It’s not a problem to duplicate the same keywords in the tags that you use in the item descriptions. If I had to pick, I would say the words in the item description are more important.

Thanks so much for this information. My partner Alisa and I are relatively new to etsy and are trying to figure out how to get more customer traffic. I can see that knowing how to describe our wonderful clothing will go a long way toward boosting sales! Thank you again.

7. doris says

Thank you so much for your insight. I haven’t yet sit up my site, but with the information you have given me I will be ready very soon.

Friends are urging me to start an Etsy site, rather than only selling my handcrafted soaps. I am SO glad I found your site before trying to get an Etsy store up and running. I can see that I need to do a lot of work re. key words and phrases before starting. Thanks so much for all the valuable help!!

Great idea! I’ve been really stuck sometimes with my tagging – I do know enough to use my shop name as a tag but I often have trouble using all 13 tags. This may really help me and I look forward to trying it for my next listing (I try to list 1 or 2 items a day).

This type of coat tends to thicken with temperature changes, or regbular clipping, and it will alsdo hed
    out minimally, but regularly, as well. History: The Lőwchen came from Europe from about
    1610. We have had other pets since Maggie aand faced
    the same end-of-life decision years later with our two springer spaniels.