DIY Lush Inspired Bath Bombs

DIY Lush Inspired Bath Bombs - Tutorial on

I have a slight obsession with homemade bath products.  When I see all the fabulous bath bombs at Lush I can’t help but think of how I can make a batch of them myself.  I believe I’ve come up with the perfect recipe to turn you into a DIY bath bomb expert in no time flat!

You deserve to enjoy a relaxing bath without spending a ton on a bath bomb…trust me, you won’t know the difference between these and the expensive ones at the mall.  Personalize them with your favorite essential oils.   I made these using lavender, lemon and peppermint to help with allergies {and smell amazing}!

Lush Inspired Bath Bomb Recipe - DIY on

Create a batch of bath bombs and share them with your friends…they’ll love you for it!Lush Bath Bomb Supplies

These are easy peasy to mix up!  Here’s a look at the supplies I used.

This is what you’ll need to make 12-24 bath bombs.

Baking Soda – 2 cups

Citric Acid – 1 cup

Corn Starch – 1 cup

Almond Oil – 3 tsp.

Essential Oils – 1 tsp. total of Peppermint, Lemon and Lavender {info about my favorite oil at the bottom}

Food Coloring – 8-10 drops

Rubbing Alcohol in a spray bottle

Mini Metal Tart Tins {I LOVE these!}

You can find the exact products I used by clicking on the links above.  It might make life a little easier for you!  The Citric Acid can be hard to find…and you NEED these tart tins!  They are perfect for lots of projects {or tarts}.

• Add Almond Oil and your essential oils to a small container and mix well.
  • Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.

Making Lush Inspired Bath Bombs

• Slowly add the oils to your dry ingredients mixing as you go.  Take your time because you don’t want it lumpy.  I used a mixture of oils that help with allergy problems…we need it around here!
  • Add the food coloring while mixing.
  • Spray your mixture 5-10 times while mixing until it resembles the texture of damp sand that sticks together.  You might need to spray it a few more times to get it just right.

DIY Bath Bombs - Recipe

• Add a heaping amount of your bath bomb mixture to your mold.  I’m using a mini tart tin…I love these!  You just want to make whatever you use is not too shallow or your bath bomb will break easily.
  • Press the mixture into the mold.  Add a bit more to the top and press it all over again.  This will make a very solid bath bomb.

Spray it - Bath Bomb Tutorial -

• Lightly mist the top of your bath bombs with alcohol.  I usually only spray one or two times and then press it down again.  If you spray too much your bath bomb with start to bubble!
  • Let it dry for at least 15 minutes.

Finished Bath Bombs - DIY Gift

• Flip your mold over and lightly tap the mold with your spoon.  This will usually cause the bath bomb to pop right out, so be ready.
  • Mist the top of your bath bomb with alcohol.
  • Let it dry overnight.

Lush Inspired Bath Bomb Recipe -

That’s it!  Now you know how to make amazing bath bombs!

Get creative with your bath bombs by mixing essential oils to create the perfect scent to match your mood.  A little goes a long way when you use high quality oil and the health benefits are a bonus!

The possibilities are endless and once you start making them you’ll come up with a ton of new ideas to try. Make extra and save them for birthdays and holidays.  This is one of those handmade gifts that everyone loves…trust me!

Have fun!

Love DIY bath products??  Check out this easy homemade bath salt tutorial!

doTERRA essential oil information - how to sell

Are you interested in learning more about essential oils? They really are amazing!

I’ve been selling essential oils for a couple years now and have used them for over 5 years…so, please email me any questions you might have! I’d love to help you out!

These look beautiful, Kim! I am always lusting over the latest Lush catalog, and have been looking for a good source of essential oils for the past few weeks – this post couldn’t have come at a better time! Does the alcohol serve a specific purpose in this recipe, or could water be substituted instead?

• says

Thank you!

You brought up an excellent point that I should have mentioned. You can use water instead of the alcohol. I haven’t tried water, but when I researched it I found some comments about water making it react faster {start bubbling} while you are working with it. I also live in Florida with high humidity and I thought the alcohol would dry faster. So far I have loved it! I feel like it really helps to make the outside surface area of the bath bomb a bit harder so it doesn’t crumble. Water might do the same…if you try it please let me know.

Just make sure whatever you use the mixture is like damp sand before you start working with it. :)

Please email me at with any of your oil questions. I LOVE to talk about them, and I can help you pick just the right ones for you. :)

• says

Hi there!
      If you want to avoid using alcohol, another great option is witch hazel :) Personally, I would avoid using water because it’s really easy to set off the fizzing! Another option is to add a bit of skin loving oil to bath bombs (like joboba, chia seed, argan) to help moisten them.

2. Manu says

this sounds like a great recipe and I will try it. But I do have one question: Once made, how long can I store them, without loosing the great smell?
    Thank you!

3. Vanessa says

So I tried making these today and I thought they turned out great except a couple hours after I took them out of the mold and spritzed them with alcohol, they started to expand….. I went from having bath bombs that were lovely and the same shape as the ones in your pictures to weird looking mounds! I’ve been struggling with them all day! I think I might have used too much alcohol but even after I reshaped them, they still expanded and flattened out even more. I put them back in the silicone molds to dry overnight but I fear that they are going to be really crumbly): but now I know for next time! Got to be careful with the alcohol!

4. Meghan says

I am curious…I just made these, do you have to wait overnight to use them or can you just let them harden for the 15 minutes and use them?

• says

Hi Meghan! Awesome! I would wait overnight for them to dry. You can actually use them now, but they won’t be at their best. {But, I did do it when I made them. :)} Enjoy!

5. Kim Martin says

So If you make these with food coloring will it die your skin whatever color you die your bath bomb?

6. Carol says

I have tried to make bath bombs twice now and each time they start expanding. What am I doing wrong?

• says

Hi Carol! Use less liquid. The amount needed can vary based on the humidity, so start with half and add to it as need to make it stick together. Be careful not to spray it too much at the end. Hope that helps!

7. Jessie says

Hi, I am definitely making these for Christmas! I was just wondering though, do you know if you can substitute Epsom salts for corn starch in this recipe? It just seems like it would be so nice in the bath :)

8. Brittany says

Quick question, I saw another ask it but I didn’t see any reply- can I use silicone tart molds instead? I’ve already got those on hand :)