Make it Happen — Shock Every Single One of Them

makeithappen

Make it happen. Shock every single one of them.

I’ve seen this phrase zipping around the Internet recently. I can’t tell you where it came from or who first uttered these poetic words, but I can tell you that I’m totally into it.

People are funny. Even the ones that love you and really want to see you succeed are usually right there with the comments that make you doubt yourself.

Do any of these ring a bell?

• You’re going to sell what online? And you think people are going to buy that?
  • If I’ve never heard of Etsy, I’m sure most other people haven’t either…
  • You don’t know how to run a business!
  • Honey, that’s a sweet idea, but
  • Have you been drinking…
  • You’re wasting your time. You’ve been working on this for months. It’s time to move on

Etc., etc., etc. You know the story.

Here’s what I want to tell you:

Make it happen. Shock every single one of them. You can do it.

We’re living during a time of real change. The way people buy and sell things is changing in a big way. Even the reasons people buy and sell things is changing.

If your dream sounds like this:

I’m going to give birth to an idea. An idea from the creativity within me. An idea that is going to draw people in. An idea that is going to excite people to action. I’m going to take that idea and build on it, nurture it, and patiently help it grow. I’m going to spread my idea online. People are going to buy into my idea. My idea can be my job. My idea can be my life.

… if your dream sounds like that, then you and I are on the same page. But millions of people still live in a world where that looks crazy. A world where it seems impossible.

It’s not impossible.

It’s not easy either. It takes time and it really isn’t without risk.

On the other hand, I think it’s pretty risky to let a dream fall away because people told you you can’t do it. Don’t you think so?

Make it happen. Shock every single one of them.

~ Kim

------advertisement------

Never miss a post:

Enter your email address:

Comments

This is great! I hadn’t seen the saying prior to now, but your examples were spot on when I first spoke of opening an Etsy shop, now I am more than thrilled with the results and it’s only been six months! Thanks for the motivation! :)

I hadn’t seen the saying yet either, but boy do I love it! (brb, drawing a little sketch in my “projects to do” notebook haha it would make a great cross-stitch!)
    Everything you post about always speaks to me in some way, but this one especially so! Thanks so much for this post – it’s really encouraging to hear that there are other people who repeatedly hear the same thing from others and it’s good to be reassured that we have the power to rise above it! (:
    Here’s to a wonderful week ahead of us! <3

I, too, never heard that one, but I like it! I think all of us can make our dreams come true with hard work and belief in yourself. Thank you!

4. debby says

I agree with everything you said, and I loved the way you said it. We all need a push once in a while, and this is mine!

What’s ironic is that many of those people grew up in the age of Mail Order: Sears, JC Penny, Montgomery Wards, Miles Kimball, Harriet Carter, Herschners, Vermont Country Store, L.L. Bean. For years those stores were how we got our merchandise! The concept is there, but the products may be different. A good book for any person is called “Stop Self-Sabotage!” by Pat Pearson. Excellent material on how we often sabotage ourselves. But we must press on and prove that it can be done!

Such great advice! I always get so much from your posts although I don’t always comment!

When we started selling our puzzle message cards on Etsy at WordsForYou we didn’t know if anyone would like them as much as we did and I’m still amazed at how much they have taken off. We have almost hit 200 sales! It just goes to show how working on your tags, products and photos can really make a difference!

Thanks for all the great advice you offer. It has truly helped me with both my Etsy shops!

THANK YOU! I needed some motivation/affirmation in this area…lots of close family have been making those exact same comments in your list and they were starting to breed doubt. This post really helps get my mind back on track and focused! Thanks for all your encouragement and the time you put into this blog…you are very appreciated! :)

I soooo needed this today. I’ve been feeling pretty…well, UN-awesome lately and now I’m feeling inspired! Thank you times a million for this post!

That’s what I’ve heard, “You’re wasting your time”. Thanks for the encouragement!! I may just try to make an upcycled tank top bag today that I have been putting off.