When sales slow down, it’s time to kick it up a notch!
For whatever reason, everyone experiences slow times with their shops. Take advantage of this time and prepare for those sales to come. You’ll be glad you did!
Here’s a few tips to get you going…in no particular order.
1. Spice up the look of your shop with a new banner that really reflects what you sell. Think of a catchy tag line to add to it. While you’re at it, make a new avatar. We’re talking “mini-makeover” here!
2. Make sure all your photos are top notch! Take a look around Etsy and notice the way bright and clear photos get your attention. Redo some of your photos while you have time, and make sure you have 5 photos of each item. Maybe you’ll be busy faster because of it!
3. Make multiples of your best selling items to save you time later on. It will also help you with fast shipping. Fast shipping helps get you more repeat business and awesome feedback.
4. Check your shop sections and make sure they’re easy to navigate. You want your buyers to be able to find what they want…and more! Don’t let them get confused and leave.
5. Got a Mailing List? Contact past customers with some specials or introduce them to your new products. They already know you’re great!
6. Let the descriptions of each item sell for you! If you have a little story about why you made it or how you got started making them, tell them about it! Include measurements, types of material you used, and any other detail you think they might want to know. Remember, they can’t pick it up and look at it so your description can make or break a sale.
7. Check your tags for each item. Are you using all of them. If it describes your item, use it. Don’t forget the colors!
8. Go over your shop policies, and check that you’re clear on expected shipping times and returns. Fast shipping is always a hit, but make sure they know when to expect it in the mailbox.
9. Update your profile. Buyers like to know a little about you! You’re so much more interesting than a big retail store!
10. Update your shipping. It’s a big world out there, so shipping internationally can help. Make sure you know what to charge.
11. This is one of my favorites…packaging! Everyone loves to receive something beautifully wrapped. Make a great first impression with a note and a little creativity. It doesn’t have to cost a ton, but it needs to show you care. Don’t forget to add a photo of your packaging to your listing!
That ought to keep you busy for awhile, and by then the sales will be rolling in again. And you’ll be prepared!
I’m sure you have a tip or two…I’d love to hear them in the comments!
Other posts you might be interested in for your Etsy business…
Really helpful article, am new to Etsy but am loving being surrounded by such fab handmade items x
Great tips. Thanks for sharing. x
Regarding descriptions….imagine, while you are writing that you are describing the item to a sightless person…don’t leave out anything. There are blind shoppers online with programs that ‘read’ to them.
These are all great tips! I will be sure to use them all. Thank you.
Thanks for the inspiration. I really need to breath some life in my shop and this is a good place to start.
Crafters Guide says
Some great tips as ever. Its always give to give your Etsy shop a Spring-Clean – all year round 🙂
Thank you for this! I need all the help I can get!
This has been so helpful! Thank you so so much!
Pam Kellogg says
Excellent advice! We’ve always taken our package very seriously. We feel our customers should have a gift to open with pretty ribbons and tissue paper in pretty colors! I’ve received many compliments on how our items arrive, so beautifully packaged.
Thanks- good tips. I need all the help I can get. I’ve been an Etsy seller since the middle of January. Lots of hearts, I’ve been on 2 treasuries, just joined 2 teams; but no sales.
It’s odd. I can sell two items in one day yet go a month with no sales. Trying to close the gap with getting items in galleries and shows. I am also waiting to postpone new designs and product lines while examining past sold items.
Wordpress Templates says
Had a good start in the june and overall it’s good.
Great tips, i’m going to strat using them, Thank you.
Christina Levagood says
Your articles always give me new motivation 🙂 http://www.lostthings.ca