Homemade Bath Salt {DIY Gift}

Homemade Bath Salt - DIY Gift on EverythingEtsy.com

Homemade bath salt is a great gift and it only takes a few minutes to make!

Everyone loves a relaxing bath and sweet smelling bath salt is the perfect touch to help you wash away the cares of the day.  You can create bath salt with just a few simple ingredients and your prettiest jars.  Choose you favorite color and essential oils to formulate a homemade bath salt all your own.

Did you know that there’s tons of research about the wonderful health benefits of salt in your bath water?  I read that it helps with muscle aches, stress relief, improving circulation, skin hydration, headache relief and more…just Google it!

Homemade Bath Salt Tutorial - EverythingEtsy.com

I don’t know about you, but I can use all the stress relief I can get!!!  A nice bath always sounds like a good idea.

Homemade bath salt is super easy and inexpensive to create.  Here’s how you can make some for yourself in a matter of minutes…

Bath Salt Process

Supplies:

• 1 cup Epson Salt
  • 1 cup Sea Salt
  • Essential Oil
  • Food Coloring

Gather your supplies and start by mixing 1 cup Epson Salt and 1 cup of Sea Salt together in a large bowl.  I used a beautiful pink tinted Sea Salt to give my salt a little variation of colors.

Add 3-6 drops of food coloring.  A little goes a long way, so start off with just a few drops and add until you get the perfect color.  Mix well.  {And then mix a little more!}

Add 5-10 drops of essential oil {I used Lemongrass} and mix, mix, mix. At this point your whole house will smell amazing and anyone that enters and sees you mixing this up will think you are Martha Stewart in disguise…just sayin’!

mix it

Isn’t it pretty all pink and sparkly?!?

Add to jar

Spoon your bath salt into beautiful jars or bottles, top it off with twine or ribbon and you are finished! It’s that simple!

Simple and beautiful work for me…this is the best kind of gift.

DIY Gift - Homemade Bath Salt

Homemade bath salt is the perfect way to pamper yourself!  I love how you can easily change the color or scent.  What’s your favorite essential oil?

Everyone can use a little pampering sometime, and homemade bath salt is a great way to share a little homemade goodness with your friends and family.

Enjoy it!

Looking for more DIY gift ideas???  Check out our Project Gallery full of fabulous handmade gifts you won’t want to miss!

I purchased most of my supplies on Amazon. Here are some direct links to make shopping for this tutorial easier for you…

Comments

1. Michele D says

I love your little bottles and wooden spoons. I made eucalyptus bath salts last year for Christmas gifts. I used little mason jars and added round labels to the top I found online and printed out (and a little ribbon). They were a big hit, so easy to make, and I enjoyed giving them. The recipe was very similar to yours.

• says

Michele – You can’t go wrong with mason jars…I have a ton of them in different sizes waiting to be used for something pretty. :) You might also like our post with 101 free printables. They are great for gifts!

Thank you SO much for posting this! I have a newfound love for epsom salt and these will make a great Christmas gift for my friends/family! Thank you! Love your blog!

3. Jorjah says

Saved my life because you have made me find the perfect gift for my teacher, even a teen like me can do it. THANK YOU !

This tiny amount of food coloring mixed in the salt won’t stain. It will stain your hand if you get it on you before you mix it. :)

My salt is a pale, pale pink…I love how it turned out.

5. Ashley says

Have you made these salts with extracts instead of essential oils? I have orange and almond extracts but am not sure about the potency or composition..

• says

Hi Sandi!

Thanks so much for looking out for me!! After the hours of work that went into this post and the photos I don’t appreciate someone using them like that. I will contact them.

Happy New Year to you!

Admiring the time and effort you put into your website and in depth information you offer.
    It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the
    same unwanted rehashed material. Fantastic read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.

7. cici says

any chance you know how much salt (in lbs or ozs) is needed per mason jar (quart sized) to fill it up??

8. Denise says

Is sea salt different than table salt? And where is a good place to get essential oils cheaply? I am looking at making 800-1000 small bags of these. I need to find the ingredients cheap! Thanks for sharing.

• says

Great questions…yes, sea salt is different than table salt. I ordered all the supplies in the post from Amazon. {There are links to the items above.} They delivered it right to me and I didn’t have to hunt around for each item. I don’t think you can get it much cheaper. Oh, and I have Amazon Prime which makes all my shipping free with 2 day delivery…love that! I hope that helps.

I’m actually getting ready to make more because I’m all out!

9. jeanette says

Hi, I just made these bath salts and they smell great and look beautiful. I stored them in glass jars and plan to give these as gifts. I’m wondering how to make this labels or buy. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Jeanette

• says

Hi Jeanette!

I’m so happy you made some! You can buy all kinds of tags at Michael’s or Joann’s, but I made these with a Big Shot cutting tool and template I already had. If you don’t need labels all the time I would just buy a package. Have a wonderful holiday!